Reynolds American Incorporated is positively transforming the tobacco industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other’s growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies you’ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is with RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company—the second-largest U.S. tobacco company. The company's brands include Newport, Camel and Pall Mall.
The Master Engineer / Technologist will provide battery design expertise for development and manufacturing of e-cigarette products. This position will ensure appropriate technical analysis and attributes are incorporated during the design of new products to ensure successful transition to implementation in manufacturing. This position will also apply standard engineering techniques to drive continuous process improvement and quality assurance with battery suppliers for existing products.
- PRIMARY RESPONSIBIITES AND DUTIES:
• Identify and ensure suppliers are implementing and maintaining industry best practices to deliver quality and value.
• Identify process improvement opportunities both internally and for contract manufacturers. Ensure implementation of improvement strategies.
• Conduct root cause analysis, troubleshooting, and issue resolution for manufacturing and /or quality issues.
• Work closely with R&D and battery suppliers in the design and selection of batteries and power unit components.
• Assist in the identification and selection of strategic partners for supply of key components.
- OTHER RESPONSIBILITES AND DUTIES:
• Responsible for technical assignments that further develop engineering skills.
• Independently evaluate and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
• Lead assignments that have clear and specified objectives and require the investigation of different variables.
• Incumbent will receive instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions. Assistance will be provided on unusual problems from more senior technical staff.
• Perform work which involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, or equipment with relatively few complex features.
• May lead or coordinate the work of others.
• Assignments usually include one or more of the following:
1. Equipment and/or process design and development
2. Test materials, prepare specifications, evaluate processes, research investigations, and prepare reports.
3. Utilize innovative engineering techniques and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) analysis to develop solutions that will refine and translate Marketing/R&D concepts into reality.
4. Lead development of one-of-a-kind prototype equipment to facilitate new product development and lab scale manufacturing.
5. Design and create technical drawings of solutions to meet new product requirements.
6. Identify and develop expertise in new technologies that can be utilized internally for development of innovative processes, products, or packaging.
7. Identify and partner with equipment vendors and engineering service providers to develop solutions.
8. Lead all project management activities including concept development, feasibility analysis, scope definition, cost estimating, specification and drawing development, business risk evaluation, vendor evaluation, resource allocation, development of manufacturing options, scheduling and installation.
9. Provide technical support during the start-up and qualification of new equipment and processes.
10. Develop and manage capital and expense budgets to meet project objectives.
11. Support the development of business cases for new projects to deliver financial targets.
12. Drive continuous process improvement and implement strategies to execute effective solutions.
13. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of applicable regulations and procedures related to FDA, DOJ, and other regulatory bodies.
14. Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of applicable engineering codes to ensure required design elements are included in projects.
15. Identify and implement plans to minimize the impact of new processes to operational cost and complexity.
- BS degree in Electrical (preferred), Mechanical, Chemical, Materials, or Manufacturing Engineering
- Experience with lithium ion battery cell components, assembly processes, performance characterization, cell testing, data analysis, and failure modes determination is required
- Proficiency in performing battery cell tear downs and analysis desired
- Experience developing and implementing processes, quality plans, performing supplier quality audits, and driving corrective actions in an environment of continuous improvement strongly desired
- Strong technical skills with high attention to detail
- Prior manufacturing experience is strongly preferred
- Proven ability to apply trouble shooting concepts and techniques to identify and resolve root cause
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to actively participate in a team-based environment
- Ability to engage with stakeholders and external partners
- Exercise sound, risk-based decision making
- Strong multi-tasking/organizational skills
- Strong computer, written, and oral communication skills
- Fluent in Mandarin is a plus
Up to 30% Domestic / International Travel may be required
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing Company, LLC; and Reynolds Brands, Inc..
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.